With Brexit moving closer all the time it is vitally important that traders are aware of the requirement to register for an Economic Operators and Identification (EORI) number.
The EORI number is the minimum requirement for all traders who import and export goods with a non-EU country and there is a short learning tool available here.
You can register for free via Revenue Online Services. Traders who register on ROS need to ensure that they have a valid ROS digital certificate and that they are registered for customs and excise. If you are not registered for customs and excise, then you can do so through the following steps:
- Click on ‘Manage Tax Registrations’.
- Under ‘Registration Options’ click on ‘Register’ beside Customs and Excise.
- Enter all the details on the eRegistration form.
- There will be a check box option to declare if you are ‘importing/exporting goods to/from the EU’. If this option is not selected, click ‘Add To Your Requests’.
- Under the ‘Requests’ section, click on ‘Submit’.
- You will now be registered for customs and excise.
Once you have successfully completed this registration, you can then apply for an EORI number using ROS. An EORI number will then be issued within a few days. An agent can make an application on your behalf.
Some businesses may already have had their EORI number aligned with their VAT number. This was generally done for economic operators that held a customs and excise registration when EORI was first introduced in 2009.
It is possible for business owners to check if they have been automatically registered for EORI by accessing the following: Taxation Customs and by inserting their existing VAT registration number with the prefix “IE” under “Validate EORI Numbers”.
As well as registering for an EORI number traders who wish to import and export from the UK post Brexit will also need to ensure that they, or an agent who is acting on their behalf, have the ability to make a customs declaration and also know the commodity code for the goods that they intend to import or export.